ABC Oriental Rug is always concerned with cleaning 'GREEN.' Though our specialty is area rug cleaning (now in the Syracuse area), we are happy to offer information on any type of cleaning. Computer keyboards, with all the tiny, hidden places dust, dirt, and grime can hide can also contain more bacteria than a toilet seat!
Here are some methods that make it relatively easy to clean computer keyboards and it should be done periodically.
TO CLEAN THE KEYBOARD...
1. Make sure the computer is turned off and, if wired, unplug it.
2. Turn it or tilt it upside down and shake it to get rid of loose debris.
3. A can of compressed air can also be useful to help remove loose debris.
4. You can also take an an approximately 2 1/2" piece of adhesive tape and run it up and down between the keys to collect dust.
5. Don't be afraid to use a vacuum hose to get up stubborn debris.
6. Use disinfectant wipes or a small cloth dipped in alcohol (Test the alcohol on the keys first to make sure it won't discolor them) to clean the keys.
7. Cotton swabs and toothpicks can also come in handy.
8. Make sure to use a dry, lint-free cloth to polish the keys after cleaning.
KEYBOARD REALLY BAD...
If your keyboard has really gotten bad and if the keys are removable, you will then have better access to the board underneath the keys after you remove them.
1. Before removing the keys, make sure to take a photo of the keyboard so you will be able to easily replace the keys after cleaning!
2. Most keys can be easily removed with the help of a small screwdriver or a butter knife but check your keyboard manual first to make sure. Please Note: Some keys, such as the Space bar, Enter, Return, and Shift keys may be permanently anchored.
3. Put the keys in a bucket of warm, soapy water while you work on the keyboard.
4. For sticky residues, use alcohol on a paper towel or Q-tip.
5. When done with the board, wipe the keys with a lint-free cloth.
6. Allow both the keys and the board to dry completely overnight.
For all your Syracuse area rug cleaning and any questions you might have on green cleaning, please call our office at 607-272-1566 or contact us here. You can also fill out the form below and we will contact you!