WHAT’S IN YOUR GREEN CLEANING ARSENAL?
If you build your own ‘Green Cleaning Arsenal’ with certain combinations of everyday ingredients (and use proper techniques), you may be able to conquer that famous Murphy’s Law for carpet and rug cleaning: "As soon as you get your carpets and rugs cleaned, something will get spilled on them!"
What should you do? Call in the cleaners again or attempt to do it yourself?
If you load your Green Cleaning Arsenal with the spotting solutions listed below, it is possible to attempt to “do-it-yourself” and you may be able to successfully treat those spots and spills with one or more of those solutions.
SPOTTING SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR GREEN CLEANING ARSENAL
1. AMMONIA: Mix 1 tablespoon of clear household ammonia with ½ cup of water.
2. BLEACH: Use Hydrogen Peroxide or Sodium Perborate (ex. Clorox II). DO NOT USE CHLORINE BLEACH!
3. DETERGENT: Mix 1 drop of Liquid Joy dish washing soap in a cup of lukewarm water. (This product will not cause excess soap suds that would be difficult to remove from the soiled area. Soap residue will attract more soil very quickly.)
4. DRY CLEANING SOLVENT: Use a volatile (fast-evaporating) dry spotter or commercial dry spotter such as Carbona or K2R. Use in small amounts because dry cleaning solvents can be harmful to sizing backings or stuffing materials. DO NOT use gasoline lighter fluid or tetrachloride.
5. ENZYME: Mix a solution of powdered enzyme detergent following the directions on the box label. Examples of powdered enzyme detergents are ERA or BIZ. The box will state specifically that it is an 'enzyme detergent.' Be careful not to soak or overwet. Only allow the solution to remain on the stain for the recommended length of time before removing it.
6. POG: This is Paint, Oil, & Grease remover, available in hardware stores.
7. VINEGAR: Mix 1/3 cup of white household vinegar with 2/3 cup of water.
CAUTION: NEVER MIX AMMONIA and BLEACH DURING ANY CLEANING OPERATION!
Bleach should also never be mixed with acids or rubbing alcohol. For further information on health hazards of mixing certain common household products, please click here.
To Be Successful, Please Remember the Following When Using your Green Cleaning Arsenal
· Spills and spots should be treated IMMEDIATELY, if possible.
· BE PATIENT. Some spots respond slowly.
· Not all spots can be removed from every fabric due to differences in:
- Composition of the Spot
- Length of time the spot has remained on the article
· SOME SPOTS MAY REQUIRE PROFESSIONAL TREATMENT!
How to Use the Spotting Solutions in Your Green Cleaning Arsenal
General instructions for using the solutions listed above and instructions for using these solutions to remove specific spots and spills can be found by clicking here.
Contact ABC for More Information or With Your Questions
If you have any questions, please feel free to call our office at 607- 272-1566. You may also contact us by clicking here. If you would prefer, please fill out the form below and we will be happy to contact you!